Saturday, May 24, 2014

Deus Ex Machina ( Total ) - with a very helpful explanation to boot....


I've never been particularly interested in painting pictures to hang on walls for decoration...its been more of a visual odyssey exploring the metaphysical universe of my subconscious and its relation/ my relation to the infinite ... and, like Icarus, I'm always compelled to reach beyond my limits and come crashing down... case in point: this latest image began with a very modest mind-set wherein I was going to paint what I called "A Fragment of a Mystery" - realizing maybe that's all we can hope for in this lifetime. I even painted it in a horizontal (sofa-sized) format, which I haven't used in a long time - thinking - I'm really, really going to keep it to a single image/canvas this time....
just exploring the emotions contained within abstract elements in metaphysical space - coming to life - so to speak....








I was content with it at first, but gradually my mind, as usual, began to "see" the image expanding outward in space. First, I created its reflection on the computer (as I am want to do - I find reflective imagery fascinating and an apt way of looking at manifested reality being a mere reflection of the unseen) . And, of course I began to see many "masks" staring at me, enticing me to go on...







And again, the image expanded in my mind, so I added another canvas to the top and painted away. After that, I added another to the bottom to reach my blasphemous "Godhead" - trembling, holding together just long enough to satisfy my insatiable need "to see it all", after which it falls apart - really more a masquerade, a distraction - and I fall to earth again.....back into Mystery.









What's interesting to me is I see how the boundaries of the canvas are very superficial to me - just a momentary enclosure for what's "moving around in the space of my imagination."
I'm obsessed with the expansion of space and form and light and the "higher emotions those evoke" - plain and simple ( as many painters are) - and the nice thing is this one image can be broken down into wonderful "decorations" to accent any living area - haha!


















the top and middle sections (below) are a "stand-alone" pair that offer endless hours of viewing pleasure - kind of reminds me of a coral reef - but with abstract, painting elements coming to life standing in for the fish, etc!








14 comments:

  1. Symmetry is the ultimate seduction until you understand it is only seduction, nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, sounds like you've got symmetry all figured out - good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is symmetry figured out: http://www.artclon.com/OtherFile/Luini_Bernardino-ZZZ-Crucifixion_with_Intercessors_(The_Crucifixion_with_Sts_Paul_and_Francis).jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. hhhm...interesting - what you see as an answer i see as a question and a mystery...where do your questions live?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've lost me. Asymmetrical Christ is crucified on the symmetrical tree of life, but it's all a paradox and conundrum, so yes, an eternal mystery from the viewer's point of view, which is your point of view, and the symmetry is illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing wrong with being a little lost...so, help me out here...what do you mean by "asymmetrical Christ" ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cross is the ultimate symmetry. It is the image of man's perfectability, of man's highest concept of beauty, and thereby, it represents the seductive delusion of self-achieved immortality. As Da Vinci illustrated, the perfect symmetrical cross is the measure of man. The Christ is the ultimate asymmetry. He is God made flesh. He is the killable God, the sacrificeable God. God is neither symmetrical nor asymmetrical. He is the burning bush. He is inconceivable and incomprehensible. The Christ is not the mirror image of God, nor is He the mirror image of man. He is the perfect that man can never be, and ironically, in the measure of man, He is the ultimate imperfect. By the measure of man, He is condemned to die, and He is crucified on the perfectly symmetrical image of the measure of man. Man's construct of the perfect symmetry is the death of the perfect asymmetry. Christ suffering on the cross awaits death, release, and resurrection from the ultimate asymmetry--for God is neither symmetrical nor asymmetrical. The image of Christ on the cross--the drooping head lowered askew, the one foot crossed over and nailed over the other, the spear wound in the rib on the one side--all these reinforce the sense of Christ's asymmetry. Suffering, pity, fear, guilt, and horror--all these attach us to the asymmetry of Christ and the passion of God that created that redeeming asymmetry. God made flesh can only suffer and die in the metrical of the man-measured world. The sacrificed body of Christ, accepted and consumed, transforms the consumer and opens the God-condemned soul to the resurrected Christ--God made unflesh--the Holy Ghost---God neither symmetrical nor asymmetrical, but knowable to man thus forgiven, returned to the garden. The story is thus, ironically, and paradoxically, symmetrical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another interpretation of the Christian symbol of the cross concerns the nature of Being - that is, the horizontal element represents "temporal time", that proceeds from a to b ( the events of one's life for example) , the vertical element represents the "eternal moment", always present NOW, always available that bisects temporal time. It is the connection with the eternal and the possibility of growth in Being for humans in that connection that is represented by Christ and the cross - and not even to be more God-like - but to begin to be more fully human. But that is, of course, just another interpretation that exists in the realm of the intellect - easily acquired through reading books and other sources. Any intellectual explanation of a symbol will ultimately ring shallow. A symbol, by its very nature, defies explanation solely through the intellect. It exist physically, intellectually, emotionally, and in higher dimensions unavailable to the intellect alone. I asked earlier "where your questions live" - I'm deriving from your explanations that they live in the realm of the intellect. That's a good start, but I think one has to be careful about carrying around a lot of intellectual answers for oneself - I believe its better to carry, at least, one really good question within oneself. For me, the art-making process is about opening questions, not so much providing answers. It is in the full involvement of the physical, mental and emotional capacities that the process can aid in one's growth in other dimensions as well. Do you paint, draw or sculpt?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, I didn't realize you were only interested in intellectual monologue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Guilty as charged! But, honestly, isn't that a bit of the pot calling the kettle black my friend?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, I've nothing more to say. I've already been dismissed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hhhm...I believe the conversation started with your dismissing my artwork out-right due to its symmetry! Regardless - thanks for your comments. You seem like a very intelligent person - try not to take yourself too seriously....:)

    ReplyDelete